View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0025878||Runner||[All Projects] Audio||Public||2017-03-08 12:04||2017-08-04 16:51|
|Reporter||Kevin Brown||Assigned To||Fritz|
|Priority||High||Severity||B - Major||Reproducibility||100%|
|Summary||0025878: Audio: OpenAL does not correctly handle interruptions on mobile|
|Description||Certain OS-related events will crash OpenAL and make the audio not work anymore for the rest of the game's run time. Such cases include: |
- Entering a phone call and then running the game
- Playing music then running the game
- Receiving a phone call while already running the game
The first two cases crash OpenAL just as the game starts.
- Entering the game while having an application that plays audio in the background seems to randomly also trigger this issue
iOS reproducibility is 100%. Tested with iPhone 7, iOS 10.
On Android, the reproducibility is not 100%. We were unable to reproduce this issue with the devices at hand, although we tested on a wide variety. The way we could find out that this is an issue on Android as well was through a 10 thousand user acquisition campaign and gazing at the analytics that showed 25-40% of the users were unable to play the game as the sound would not start.
As mentioned before, this affects every GM game. If you want to test, just run any GMS game on iOS (or the attached example), then call the target phone. The sound will be lost.
In order to speed things up, here are some answers for questions you might have:
- Yes, we have tried audio groups; The issue persists.
- We have tried different formats (all of them), it does not seem to matter whether or not it is in RAM, on the Storage, Compressed or Uncompressed
- Yes, we are using the new audio engine
- We have also tried the legacy sound (with the appropriate functions, not the audio_* ones); The issue persists.
|Additional Information||Originally reported from: https://yoyogames.zendesk.com/agent/tickets/120170|
|1.4 Found In||1.4.1763|
|2.x Runtime Found In||2.0.5.|
|2.x Runtime Verified In|
openAL.gmz (958,491 bytes)
||I've fixed the issue on iOS, but can't reproduce the issue mentioned on Android - I believe this will be an unrelated issue as the iOS fix was in platform specific code and will thus require some more info as to how to reproduce it.|