View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
00138761.4 IDE BugsSavingPublic2017-03-24 14:35
ReportersamuelcohenAssigned ToFritz 
PriorityVery HighSeverityCritical BlockerReproducibility100%
Status ClosedResolutionFixed 
PlatformOSWindows 7OS Version
Summary0013876: Saving: Object overwritten [by creating a new object with the original name of a recently-renamed one]
DescriptionAn object has overwritten another one which previously had the same name, losing that other object's original code, and creating a duplicate of itself.
Steps To ReproduceI had one object called "obj_black_fog_chase". Once it was finished, it's actual function in the game was not chasing (the character), so I decided to create another one with that name and function. I changed the name of the first one to "obj_black_fog_big", and I named "obj_black_fog_chase" the new one.

After saving both, it seems that the new "obj_black_fog_chase" has overwritten the other one, and now I have two objects with the same name, and the same coding. The original object, which now should be called "obj_black_fog_big" has diseappeared forever, having an exact duplicate of the other in it's place.
Additional InformationAs you can see in the image, there are two objects with the same name (and the same coding), which should not be possible.
1.4 Found In1.3.1307

Relationships

has duplicate 0024869 ClosedStewart Bishop Resource Tree: Changing room name to pre-existing room name will delete new room 

Activities

samuelcohen

2014-03-31 17:29

Updater  

wtf.PNG (3,550 bytes)
wtf.PNG (3,550 bytes)

samuelcohen

2014-03-31 17:37

Updater   ~0028179

"The original object, [...] has diseappeared forever".

Well, actually, thanks to the automatic backup located in my Documents folder, I was able to fix that. Sometimes I forget how professional has GM become since I started with 6.1 <3.

Anyway, the bug I mentioned above can happen again, and it's not a nice one.

Daniel Cleaton

2014-04-03 12:39

Adminstrator   ~0028238

I've been trying to reproduce, but no joy so far.

Neil Wicker

2014-06-05 14:28

Updater   ~0029494

I am also failing to reproduce, seems to have a very very low reproducibility rate...

Peter Carr

2014-06-24 11:55

Updater   ~0030134

New steps to reproduce this issue:
https://yoyogames.zendesk.com/agent/#/tickets/63678

1) Start blank new project.
2) Create new sprite. Hit OK.
3) Create second new sprite. Hit OK.
4) Save.
5) Close GM.
6) Open the project.

You should have sprite0 and sprite1.

7) Open both sprite0 and sprite1.
8) Rename sprite0 to sprite01.
9) Hit OK on newly-renamed sprite01.
10) Rename sprite1 to sprite0.
11) Hit OK on newly-renamed sprite0.

Wait one second. Now you have two sprite0 resources.

Neil Wicker

2014-06-24 12:05

Updater   ~0030135

Reproduced - Assigned.

Neil Wicker

2014-12-04 16:08

Updater   ~0034550

Still in 1.4.1485

Daniel Cleaton

2016-07-21 10:21

Adminstrator   ~0045565

I believe the fix for this specific issue / repro steps was made a long time ago.

EA491 now also contains a fix for getting a similar situation by running/create exe immediately after a rename you have not "finished" by closing the resource after renaming it. If you closed the resource it would fix the issue/complain about a duplicate name, but this didn't happen if you built the game instead. On closing yuour project you would then have corrupt resources for the ones involved in the naming clash.

Daniel Cleaton

2016-11-30 15:08

Adminstrator   ~0050554

Nope - another fix has been made for EA515+

Ross Manthorp

2017-03-01 16:20

Adminstrator   ~0051878

Fixed. Closing.